Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Forget dividing and conquering


In life, we are surrounded by people. Many we don't, some we think we do, and a rare handful we know we know for sure. It seems the handful I know I know for sure shrinks and shrinks. It's nearly impossible to come across a truly great friendship. You know the kind I mean, the person you can share things with, who will tell you what you need to hear and who can walk the fine line between caring and being cared for.

In high school, I was surrounded by people and most of them were completely alien to me. Maybe this is just a result of my having been alien to them. I am quite different from most girls, it appears. And gosh, can girls be catty!

I witnessed more Brutus' stab more Caesars than can really sit well with me. Hell, I've been Brutus.

But while I know I've grown up, some girls from high school haven't left their juvenile behaviors behind. Girls are still as manipulative and cruel and ugly as they were in high school and in middle school before that.

It's saddening, it's maddening.

How hard is it to really be a good friend? To be able to balance your giving with your taking? To balance your talking and your listening?

When I was about seven, I wore a shirt that exlaimed "Girl Power!" in bold blue camouflage bubble letters. I used to think that girls had the power to do something positive in life. Lately it seems to me that girls -- and the girls masquerading as women -- have failed to remember that the best way to achieve power is united, not divided. "Divide and conquer" should hold no meaning here.

(The above image is of Rachel McAdams, Amanda Seyfried and Lacey Chabert in Mean Girls.)

No comments: