Friday, February 26, 2010

For the cynical reader


I realize that some of my more cynical readers may wonder (and believe me, even I've sometimes wondered) why so many beautiful smart young women like myself are so concerned with hooking up, or finding a boyfriend, or however you term it. My best explanation or theory -- and this is based purely on personal experience -- is that, especially for us really intelligent, hardworking ladies, it's (mostly) fun and frivolous-feeling to go after guys or think about them coming after us, etc.

Also, I believe it's because we're full of just as many raging hormones as boys are, and yes, we like to kiss and cuddle and "get it on" and we also want someone, other than our girlfriends to care for us and hold our hand through the tough stuff and the really yummy icing in the middle of that bad stuff. In fact, sometimes, the special guy in your life is the cream filling between one and another horrible thing.

I must concede, though, that it's not always fun and that sometimes thinking about the fact that our best friend or roommate or sister has a boyfriend and we don't makes us wonder what's wrong with us and hate the other girl and wonder why she's special enough to have scooped that total cutie.

But most of the time, it's fun-er than the other serious shit going on in our lives.

Just some early morning thoughts.

(The above image is of Cher and Nicholas Cage from Moonstruck.)

No comments: