Friday, April 2, 2010

Strong enough to break


That's it. I'm keeping score of all the shit that happens to me. Deduct points for every time I'm used or cheated or just generally mistreated. Add points for those rare occasions when I actually get the good things I deserve.

When the game is over, or it's approaching overtime, I'll look at the scoreboard and if I'm not winning on the cosmic scale of life, I'm not going out easy.

I just cannot imagine why everything always goes wrong. I mean, I'm sure there are people who disagree, but I just don't feel like I deserve to work so hard and never have anything go right.

Every day is an uphill battle to make my dreams -- all of them: a happy family/living situation, a good love in my life, getting through school without feeling the weight of the world, making a name for myself in the work world -- come true and my strength is waning.

But I never stop. I am a soldier. Or a force, like my best friend Ashley told me tonight.

I don't know how to not give something my everything. I push and push and push. It's like this trick of physics my friend Michele showed me where you push the backs of your hands against a door frame really hard for 60 seconds and then when you step away, your arms float upward.

Someday my 60 seconds will be up, I'll let go a little bit, step away from the door, and everything I want will come to me as effortlessly as my arms float skyward.

Someday, man.

Every ounce of pain shooting up my arms right now is just a piece of the puzzle.

Someday I'll float.

(This post borrows the name of a Hanson song that has been pretty much my theme song in life. The above photo of Hanson was taken by Bryan Johnson.)

No comments: