Sunday, March 28, 2010

Are you from Tennessee?


A friend of mine used to have a shirt that read "Are you from Tennessee? Cause you're the only ten I see." It made me crack up every time I saw it and I don't care if admitting that makes me sound corny. Of course I always thought of men like Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt (pre-Angelina) when I saw this. You know what I mean, a certain type of ruggedly handsome manly man.

I never pictured Jay Baruchel, the star of She's Out of My League which my sister and I saw today.

Would have pictured a scrawny kid like him (pictured above)? Probably not. The determining factor in the rating and dating system -- a concept we've discussed in my sociology class -- is outward appearance. How fucked is that?

I am not the most beautiful woman on earth. I'm certainly not as beautiful or well-built as actress Alice Eve, Baruchel's gorgeous love interest in League (also in the picture above). But does that make me any less than "a hard ten"? No. It doesn't.

Caring, smart, funny and there's very little I wouldn't do for someone I loved. These are the things that matter. These are each worth at least two points so that makes me a ten if not a 20.

Watching League made me think of O.U.A.T.B. I firmly believe one of the reasons we didn't work out was because he didn't expect us to. I think he thought I was too good for him.

What I hope he and the rest of us realize is we are all tens in another pair of eyes. We are all beautiful and worthy of love.

I know it in my heart.

No comments: