Saturday, February 19, 2011

Wise Words: 'Puff up and bluff'


I've been a little nervous to pitch myself or my ideas to the media markets I want to see my byline in. But after reading the following advice from Laurel Touby, founder and senior vice president of mediabistro.com, I know I need to get over that.

"Sometimes you have to puff up and bluff about things. Too often, women feel as though they are not prepared for a task or an assignment and so they don't go after it. We expect that if we are great at what we do, someone will notice and offer us plum assignments. Well, that's not always the case. There are times when you have to say 'I can do that,' to a boss or potential employer and rise to the challenge. Don't be afraid. Guys do this all the time and get away with it!"

This advice is part of Jones New York's Little Black Book of Career Advice, a collection of wise words from lots of important women. It's a must-read!

No comments: