Saturday, February 19, 2011

Things we do that boys aren't supposed to see

When I'm alone, if even for just a few moments, I open the Photo Booth application on my MacBook. My face is one that looks different depending on the day, the way my hair falls, the lighting, the angle of the camera capturing it. For my own posterity, I sometimes like to take pictures, posing and puckering my lips, thereby creating a sort of growth chart of my good (and bad) looks. Some days I look older than others; some days I look cute and whimsical while on others I am serious and sad.

It's just something I do, but which Chris doesn't understand. He's finally caught me doing it, and I'm worried that him seeing this thing I'm embarrassed to do in front of anyone is the beginning of the end of our honeymoon phase.

Today he was headed for the bathroom when I decided to take a picture. Angled up, the camera built into my computer caught the underside of my face, making my face look fatter than normal. So I angled the screen downward and slid down a little in my seat.

Chris returned from the bathroom quicker than I thought and while I tried to hide the Photo Booth screen -- knowing he just wouldn't understand -- he caught me. "Are you taking a picture of your boobs?" he asked.

"No!" I replied. I'll admit it must have appeared that way because by that point, I'd sat up straight and the camera was angled directly at my chest.

While I tried to explain to him that I'd been trying to take a picture of myself and am embarrassed to do it in front of him, he just gave me a funny face and said, "Yeah, O.K."

Perhaps if he didn't have the sense of humor he does, this moment of vulnerability would have been a reminder of his feelings for me.

No comments: