Wednesday, February 16, 2011

In my book, great reading inspires great writing

Last night, my little writer's group met. I say little because we're averaging at four writers per biweekly meeting. One of the members of the group, an adjunct professor I've interviewed for adjunct news stories and with whom I studied creative writing last semester, shared a 25-page story that just seemed to move me.

On first read the ending left me unsure of my feelings, but after skimming it during our discussion I realized how much I truly liked the character and how much I loved the story.

It was simply inspiring to feel that way, and I must say that the nights I spend surrounded by writers are some of the most inspirational I've experienced.

Despite my recent apathy toward writing -- the result of many, many rejections received in the past two months -- I left wanting to write again, wanting to create a short story (or longer work) that would produce a strong reaction in the reader.

Today, also, my third installment of the "In My Book" column I'm writing for The Temple News was published. The book I reviewed was Susan Shapiro's first novel Speed Shrinking, and Shapiro responded to my email about the review with exclamation points. (!!!!)

I totally got the book, she said, and my review made her day!

To be on the receiving end of a great work of fiction is incredible, and it's a treasure I've always relished. I just hope that I have and will continue to affect people in a similar way.

Ah, the beauty of the written word. (This is only slightly serious -- in our meeting, the writer of the 25-page story cringed when he heard someone had said something similar.)

image from weheartit

No comments: