Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Reverse Prejudice

Every year I have been in school, I have learned about prejudice throughout human history. I have studied, again and again, about the most referenced example of prejudice: that against black Americans on the part of white Americans. What no one tends to talk about is this: there is a counter-prejudice to this. I call it reverse prejudice.

There are actually two kinds of reverse prejudice as I see them.

Reverse prejudice #1: Black Americans (not all of them, obviously) are sometimes against white people, as if every white girl and white boy they deal with is responsible for the god awful shit that some old racist white people put them (well, usually their ancestors) through. I have never been prejudice and I have never made comments about someone's race or anything like that. This has always hurt my sense of justice, that people could lay blame like an oversize quilt over the whole of a race. It does not seem fair at all.

Reverse prejudice #2: This has only really come to my attention lately. It is when a white girl or white boy dates only black boys or black girls. How weird is that? Vin finally, after MONTHS of flirting with me, told me that he only likes black girls. He is Italian and English and Scottish or something. It blows my mind that he is only into black girls. (Not that there is anything wrong with this, it just blows my mind!) It has occurred to me that maybe he lied. Maybe he just said that as an easy out. But I would rather just believe him although the truth seems so twisted in my mind.

No comments: