Monday, February 9, 2009

Cast List

When seeking an understanding of someone's values, goals, fears, and such, it can be helpful to look at the people around them. The oneness he or she feels with another person is as indicative of these things as a comparison of him or her to his or her enemies.

I am changing names and keeping some identifying facts vague so I can protect the identities of people and hopefully not inspire anger on anyone's part. Just to be clear: my intent in this is not to make anyone feel belittled or ridiculed; everything I write here will be fact or merely MY opinion of these people. I do not wish to inspire ill thoughts about any one of them in your mind, I just wish to show you my world and its populace, the way I see it.

Mom--She and my dad had been married a long time before I was born. They had had trouble conceiving, so I was kind of a miracle baby; the pregnancy gave her no trouble though, so depending on your definition of "miracle baby" you may not agree with my assessment. After my parents seperated, Mom started dating. Now she's in a serious relationship with Zebediah, who lives and works in Delaware. He's here at the house almost all the time though. Frankly, I do not like him much, and for several reasons. She is a fantastic writer but will not listen to me and actually write a book, although I think she would pen quite a few bestsellers.

Dad--He is still single although my parents split about 2 years ago. Mom and Dad maintain a mostly friendly relationship. Dad runs his own business. He talks about politics and philosophy like an expert although my judgement of his expertise may be clouded because I know considerably less in politics and nothing about philosophy (although I guess I am somewhat of an accidental philosopher with all the time I spend questioning life and trying to find the answers). I love talking to him. I learn so much! It has been amazing over the past month or so in beginning to learn how alike we really are.

Grammy--My mother's mother; my only living grandmother. She lives in the country, quite a while away from home here in Philly. We don't get to talk as much as she or I'd like because I'm forgetful and slightly phone-phobic. When I spend time with her though, it's like she just understands me. And I never question whether she loves me; it's great to feel that secure.

Opa--Grammy's ex. He is married to a woman barely older than his eldest daughter. He's a hypochondriac. He's 1st generation German-American. He is a year or two younger than Grammy. He wrote sappy letters to her while he served in the Vietnam war and at the Hawaiian base. He cheated on her several times when they were married and he and Grammy finally divorced when all their kids were out of the house.

Vienna--My sister, 17 months younger, love-hate relationship. She wants me gone from the house and I don't know if I blame her, because I can't wait to be out of the house (not that this is anyone's fault, I just want breathing room, growing room). She is also very possessive. Keep your hands off of her things, or she'll have fits.

Selena--Class president, sweet and lively, she's the perfect listener. She is the one whose shoulder I could lean on when I cried about home problems to the counselor.

Uzima "Zim"--Eighteen and a senior. She is an actress who has appeared in plays at a theater in downtown Philly, worked on small films with her friend Villain (whom she's been in plays with), and wants to be an actress in Hollywood. She focuses a lot on making her acting dreams come true. She's good at her schoolwork but usually procrastinates and rushes to get stuff done. She's got many siblings. The name Uzima means "Full of life" in Swahili because Zim is certainly full of life.

Bell--Single child, divorced parents, senior, works on newspaper with me. We were "best friends" last year and she stopped texting/calling around the time I did a summer program she did not bother to apply for. Now, we exchange pleasantries sometimes, but I am pretty sure I mean nothing to her, and I am pretty sure she means nothing to me now. Bell is named for her laughter; once the intoxicating sound of friendship, now it sounds like plaster church bells--intended to sound true and beautiful, but really: flawed and fake.

Amber--Fellow senior. She talks about people all of the time, even the people who are her supposed "best friends." Amber is disgustingly self-important and self-centered. She loves male attention far too much for it to be healthy. Really, she is not much different from many of the girls with whom I go to school.

Eris--Fellow senior. Has many home problems, which I do not discredit or invalidate. Always dramatic. Claims to dislike opinions, but has many. Talks a lot, about things of very little consequence. "Eris" is Greek and means "strife."

Caresse--Temple University student, journalism major, 21 (as of tomorrow). We met at UJW this past summer. We haven't gotten to hang out very much at all (two afternoons since the end of UJW) but when I do, I don't feel so alone. She lets me vent my problems and concerns and she tells me that she's felt the same way about a lot of stuff and she's just fun. It's like having an older sister when we get to hang out. Caresse, according to Babyname.com, is American for 'Beloved' and it is derived from the French for caress. Fitting for my friend whom I wish had more time for me!

Anyone else who pops up will be properly introduced, do not fear. :)

No comments: