Monday, December 13, 2010

The problematic point of view


Lately, and especially when it comes to this blog, my baby, I've been worried that my writing is hitting too close to home. I do not wish to make people look bad, as a lot of my writing is simply meant to be therapeutic, a tool to help me work through my world and to put things in perspective. My views on things are not necessarily the truth -- it's just a point of view and I know that. Still, I have occasionally gotten myself in trouble with friends and loved ones for the things I write. Now that I'm reading Susan Shapiro's Only as Good as Your Word, I feel a bit better.

Shapiro writes, "When students express fear that their family will disown them if they divulge too much, I tell them to just make sure they become successful, since most people are starfuckers and vanity often overrides privacy."

Since I will stop at nothing until I am a published author with plenty of assignments rolling in (and this is already kind of happening, thanks to The Juniata News, The Temple News, and StudentCoupons.com, for which I'm doing a little editing), I'm pretty confident that any anger or resentment will be short lived.

(Image courtesy of weheartit)

No comments: