Sunday, January 24, 2010

Push comes to shove


So I have another little dirty confession: I'm lusting after a taken boy.

I know, I know. It's so wrong.

But he's the one who took to calling me by the nickname my family uses -- without me telling it to him -- and he's the one who smiles, real big, every time he sees me on the elevator or in the dining hall.

Therefore, can I really be to blame?

I guess the thing I can be blamed for is wanting to give him a gentle push toward a friendship -- and maybe one day more should he ever lose the ball and chain -- and for almost acting on that urge.

I do this.

Even with Mr. Athlete, who probably still doesn't remember my name.

Almost every time I see a glimmer of a romantic possibility, I get the urge to nudge, needle and push the boy toward liking me, toward making a move. And it almost always bites me in the ass.

Because while a guy who rarely or never receives encouragement rarely or never makes a move, guys seem to be really touchy about how much of a push you can give them. But they're hardly ever clear on where a girl is supposed to draw the line.

I mean really, when does push come to shove?

From now on, in the case of Attached Boy, and in most every other case, I'm going to try not to even nudge. You can push and shove all you want. From now on, if a guy cares enough about me, he can make the moves!

(You'll have to pardon the picture of Charlotte York and Harry Goldenblatt from Sex and the City, which was totally self-indulgent on my part since they've got nothing to do with this post. I've just been watching the episodes when they first started dating.)

No comments: