Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Getting Back into the Swing (Plus an Excerpt)



Last week, I started writing again. Spurred on by all the great reading I've been doing and my coversations with Cyndy Drew Etler, a writer who is self-publishing her memoir, Straightling, I knew it was time I got back to my old self. I've always defined myself as a fiction writer but after the fall 2010 semester, I really hadn't written much. I needed to get back to that person.

So I've been working on this novel I'd gotten the idea for a while ago. And it's slow-going but I really think what I've got so far is beautiful.

I decided that I'll share an excerpt from it with you. Read the excerpt after the break.



Chapter 1.

They sat on the whitewashed wood floor of her bedroom and she now held in one hand a peed-on plastic stick. He held her other hand and the cell phone, alarm set. “Pregnancy scare?” He was whispering. His coffee eyes cut right through the wall she was trying to build.

“More like pregnancy terror, right?” the girl, Leni, asked. She could feel the slick of perspiration building on her forehead.

David, her boyfriend, expected to hear her adorable tinkling laugh to come pouring out just then, but she sat silently. He might have laughed if they’d watched this on TV.

“Promise if there are two pink lines in that window, we’ll take care of it?” His eyebrows cocked, punctuating his question. 

“Of course,” she replied. She felt the air that caught in her chest and knew it would never be that easy. How could I let this happen? she thought.

“Swear on your father’s life? ‘Cause I know your mom’s doesn’t mean that much.” The corners of his mouth turned up ever so slightly but her face told him there was no humor to be found in this situation. I’m such an asshole, David thought.

The phone alarm rang. Eyes closed, she lifted the pregnancy test to her face.

---

Thoughts?

No comments: