Sunday, November 20, 2011

3 Great Ugly-Duckling-Gets-Made-Over Movies

Right around this time of the year, I start wanting to give myself a whole new look. This is probably inspired by my love of the three movies listed below. I watched them all repeatedly when I was a kid, and as one who was frequently teased, I always hoped that I could get made over and change my life.



Never Been Kissed (1999)
This film, starring Drew Barrymore, is one of my favorites. Josie Geller, a less-than-memorable editor at the Chicago Sun-Times, gets her first assignment: to go undercover as a high school student. For Geller, who barely survived high school the first time around, this is mixed blessing. In the process, she makes friends with the popular crowd and falls in love with teacher Sam Coulson (Michael Vartan). And in the end, when she's standing on the pitcher's mound waiting for Sam to give her her first kiss, she's gorgeous.



The Princess Diaries (2001)
Mia Thermopolis is one of my favorite heroines. I loved the books and the movie is fantastic. Mia, an unsightly 15-year-old, finds out that she's actually a princess, and her super chic grandmother, Queen Clarisse Rinaldi, gives her princess lessons and Paolo, a pompous gay man who considers himself a great artiste, gives her a makeover. And with one look at the results, it's clear that he knows something. I just love this one!



She's All That (1999)
Rachel Leigh Cook plays Laney Boggs, a high school student very serious about her art but not her appearance. Zach Siler (Freddie Prinze), recently dumped by his popular girlfriend for a reality TV star (played by Matthew Lillard), makes a bet that he can clean up any girl and make her popular. Laney is the victim of the bet but the beneficiary of Zach's lesbian sister's make-up skills. I always wished I could meet a Zach who would make me over and fall in love in the process.

No comments: