Monday, June 14, 2010

Measures of success


Ever feel like you're actually achieving your dreams? If you have, you know that it's like a drug; it's the best possible high. Well, I can only imagine since I've never actually been high. But that doesn't negate the immense rush I get looking over my portfolio of published clips (which contains upwards of 35 clips), just one measure of my writerly success a la Carrie Bradshaw.

Another measure: I was recently hired as a relationship writer for HOSTAGE magazine.

And another: I got an assignment from and was published in my neighborhood newspaper The Juniata News for which I will receive my largest paycheck to date (for something I wrote, I mean).

And another: This blog has gotten a few comments of late from people I'm not biologically related to or Facebook friends with (because you know I inundate my virtual friends with reminders to read my humble life-and-love blog).

And another:  I got an email today from an admirer of my online portfolio (which I've already plugged once in this post) inviting me to join a fashion website that is sort of a mix of Twitter, Facebook, and answers.com. This website is still in beta and you can only join by private invitation from a founder or an 'in' person.

Sorry if this post is more self-congratulatory and pompous than usual. I'm just so excited and this excitement -- when not being overshadowed by the normal, run-of-the-mill, everyday stresses of life -- has been a really big thing lately.

My career goals for the near and far futures:

- Get accepted as a contributor to Sex, Etc. while I still can; they only take people 19 and younger and as my 19th birthday's approaching, my time is waning.

- Write some essays for Metropolis (for which I would be paid, which is always nice).

- Perhaps get a column in The Juniata News (as guaranteed and continued income is always nice too). Or maybe write a relationship column for The Temple News. (Both clauses of this bullet point are wholly dependent upon how much material I would have left over after fulfilling my duties for HOSTAGE).

- Pitch articles to more magazines (even the national glossies -- although of course I don't expect they'll be accepted).

- Be named as a Blog of the Note.

- Perhaps, someday, get a book deal (either for my novel or for turning this blog into a book). Although this last thing coming to fruition isn't exactly something I can ensure.

Well, there you have it. Things are looking up for me, romantically and career-wise. Let's just hope this doesn't send other things to shit!

No comments: