Friday, July 16, 2010

Impressions


Last Saturday was spent in Atlantic City with the family of one of my best friends. Ashley and I have been friends since we met in 8th grade at Conwell Middle Magnet School here in Philly. We were both part of the Principal's Leaders Academy and were stationed at the ladies room, patrolling the kids. Most of these periods were spent working on my valedictorian speech, which I was chosen to deliver at our mutual delight. Then we went to the same high school and through ups and downs, we've always come out of it together.

Then, last weekend was only the third time I'd seen her since we went to separate colleges. She's at the University of Pittsburgh's Bradford campus while I'm still here in the City of Brotherly Crime.

On Saturday, a major theme of our conversations was how glad we were to have left high school behind. She told me how one of her former teachers -- who I'd never had -- was talking to her on Facebook about who she had stayed friends with from high school. There were, like, four of us, she told him. He asked who. When she got to me, he said something about how I'm a girl that's going places.

I was surprised he even knew who I was. In retelling their conversation, Ashley said that our freshman year English teacher had told this other teacher that she and I were his favorite students.

It's funny how you can leave impressions on people you had no idea about.

(The above image is of me and Ashley on my 17th birthday. 2008.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny how much I truly miss you and those times. I guess you are right about us always coming back together. You have left an impression on me that I will never forget Rosella and no matter what the future brings, I am always in your corner <3

Rosella Eleanor LaFevre said...

You know I love you! You too have made a huge impression on my life. I daresay I wouldn't be quite the girl I am today if it hadn't been for you. You have helped maker strong. You have helped me to see all of my potential and have helped me to love myself. You know you're my future wife! <3