Monday, September 20, 2010

Dream come true


I finally got it: the internship I've wanted for two and a half years. Ever since I attended the two week long Urban Journalism Workshop at Philadelphia's Daily News and heard one of the publishers speak, I've wanted to intern at two.one.five magazine. I applied right before my senior year and actually even got an interview. Unfortunately, I didn't get the position because the editors thought my school schedule would prevent me from really learning anything.

I sent my resume a couple of times last year and never really heard back, although I did profile their fashion and music editor Abigail Bruley for Motivos magazine.

Finally, after talking with my beloved professor George Miller about how I was getting shot down everywhere and didn't know what to do next, emailed two.one.five's editor-in-chief Piers Marchant. After some back and forth and submitting a 330-word review of the Australian indie Candy, I was asked to interview.

That interview was Friday and I got the position!

Piers looked through my clipbook and said "It looks like writing comes easily to you, whether it does or not. It's a good thing... And I'm not just saying you're good. I make it a point not to tell students they're good writers if they're not."

He told me about the new website the two.one.five team is working on and what he'd like me to do (cover film reviews and write some fashion-related content). He asked when I could start.

"Monday's good for me!" I exclaimed.

So tomorrow at 11:30, I will show up to the magazine's office and introduce myself to the other editors (all of whom were mysteriously missing on Friday). I even get to sit in on a staff meeting.

It's amazing when you take a giant step toward your dream. After the interview, I couldn't stop smiling and I could hardly breathe. Maybe that's why there were stars in my eyes.

1 comment:

Kayla said...

Congratulations! Whats it like interning there?

I'm also a journalism major at Temple, but I haven't started looking for internships yet because I'm only a freshman. I'd really like to hear about your experience there and what you have to do.

Thanks!
Kayla

http://717inthe215.blogspot.com/